This pie needs no introduction – probably it doesn’t even need a recipe.
For the pastry crust:
- 3½ cup (15 oz/420g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 4 tbsp cannabis butter
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup (5 oz/150 ml) water
- 1 pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 8 cups peeled, sliced apples (about 5-6 big apples)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice + zest
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup sugar (150g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup boiled cider or apple juice
- 2 tbsp cannabis butter, diced in small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- For the crust: in a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Dice the cannabis butter into small pieces and crumble it with the flour until lumps are the size of small peas. Add sugar and stir well. Pour in the ice cold water, little at a time, mixing with a fork. Finish by hand and shape into a ball. Flatten the dough a little bit, wrap into cling film and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling: combine the slice apples with lemon juice and zests in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine together sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt and spices. Sprinkle the mixture the apples, and stir to coat them. Stir in the boiled cider or apple juice.
- Once the dough is chilled, divide it into 2 pieces, one about twice as large as the other. The larger piece will be the bottom crust, the smaller one the top crust.
- Pat each pieces of dough into a disk, about ¾ inch thick.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Lightly grease a 9 inches pie pan, that is at least 2 inches deep.
- Roll the larger piece of dough into a 13 inches circle and transfer it into the prepared pan. Trim the edges so that they overlap the rim of the pan all the way around.
- Spoon the apple filling into the pan, and top with diced butter.
- Roll out the remaining dough to a 11 inches circle, and slice it into thin layers. Weave a lattice crust for the lop layer, and crimp the edges of the pie with a fork.
- Whisk one egg with one tablespoon of water and brush it on the top crust and around the edges of the pie. Sprinkle some additional sugar over to add shimmer and a sweet crunch to every slice.
- Bake the pie for about 50 minutes, until the filling starts bubbling inside the pie. Check the pie after 20 minutes of baking and cover the edges with foil to keep them from burning too quickly.
- When the pie is ready, remove it from the oven and let cool completely before slicing.
*Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- leave a comment bellow