Have you ever seen the black tar-like residue leftover after multiple smoke sessions? That’s weed resin and yes, it is smokeable.
Almost every pot smoker has smoked weed resin before. You know the deal. Your dude is out of bud, or you’re out of money, so you finally break down a smoke some resin. It’s okay. But have you ever thought about what exactly resin is and what it does to you?
Resin contains much less THC than actual buds. Much of the THC will combust when you light the herb. With that said, I know from personal experience that it will get you high. But, it’s going to take a lot more resin to get the same high as the real stuff. So yes, it is possible to feel high after smoking weed resin. Resin is the byproduct of smoking marijuana and sticks to basically any surface that the marijuana is being smoked out of. The resin is composed of a lot of tar, ash, carbon, and cannabinoids that are inherently found in cannabis.
Resin pretty much coats your bowl from top to bottom so you can hit the resin in many different ways. Each pipe is slightly different so sometimes you have to get creative. Please note, this is going to get messy. Avoid contact with skin and clothes as much as possible. For real, resin is a royal pain to clean. Here are a few tools that will come in handy when scraping the resin from your bowl.
- Bobby Pin or Paperclip – You’re going to need something that you can bend into shape. This will let you scrape around curves with the greatest of ease.
- Lighter – try dry hitting the piece a few times. This will warm up the resin and make it easier to scrape.
Smoker’s Multi-tool– You can pick up a little smoker’s multi tool which is great for scraping out bowls. This isn’t necessary, but they’re pretty cool to have around.
Only scrape glass or hard metal pipes. Plastic pipes break down over time. You will inevitably end up smoking bits of plastic.
You can also boil a pipe to get the resin out, but I’m not a huge fan of this method. It stinks up the house. It also saturates the resin so you have to wait for it to dry. Now go and enjoy your weed resin!
Here are a few recommendations for lighting up some resin.
- Joint – Not a great method. Resin burns much slower than bud. It is also compact, so air can’t flow properly through the joint. You could manage to get a bit of smoke, but all in all, it’s not going to go very well. All of this goes for blunts as well.
- Vaporizer – Getting the taste of resin out of your vaporizer would be a nightmare. Resin burns at a higher temperature than THC so you have to crank up the heat. It may work a bit, but is it really worth ruining a vaporizer over?
- Pipe – This is the method of choice! Bonus points if you use something with water filtration like a bubbler or bong. This will cut down on the harshness of the smoke. You can mold and roll your resin into a ball and smoke away. If your bowl has a lot of resin build up you can simply dry hit the bowl without ever having to scrape anything. Just act like there is weed in the bowl and smoke it as usual. You can also try lighting it from the carb to get to some hidden pockets of resin nastiness.
Many people say that this is the unhealthiest way to smoke because of the immense amount of tar that you are inhaling. Smoking in general doesn’t really benefit your health, but weed resin is on a whole other level. If you were to inspect what resin actually is… You’re smoking THC infused tar. So please keep that in mind before making the conscious choice to smoke your resin. Occasionally smoking resin probably won’t cause too much harm, but don’t go around being a fiend and scraping your friend’s pipes for resin.