Cannabis tea is alternative to edibles and gentler, healthier alternative to smoking. It’s really easy to prepare!
- 1/2 gram marijuana buds
- 1/2 teaspoon butter (you can use margarine or coconut oil)
- Tea bag (any flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Optional sugar or honey
- Grind the marijuana buds. Separate out the stems and seeds if necessary, and use a grinder or chop up the buds with a sharp knife until they’re finely chopped, but not completely powdered.
- Mix the buds with butter. Place them together in a bowl and use a spoon to mix up the buds and butter, making sure each piece is coated with fat. You want the grounds to be completely coated, but not soaked in butter; too much will inhibit the release of THC.
- Empty a tea bag and fill it with the marijuana butter mixture. Use a scissors to cut off the top of the bag, then empty the contents. Spoon the ground marijuana into the bag, then fold it over several times to keep the marijuana from spilling out.
- If you have a metal tea ball, you can use that instead.
- Bring the water to a simmer on the stove. Pour it into a small pan and place it over medium high heat, so that it comes to a simmer but not a full boil.
- Simmer the teabag in the water for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat if the mixture starts to boil. If the water is getting low, add a little more.
- Take it off the heat and remove the teabag. The cannabis tea will be very hot so be careful and let it cool for 5 minutes. If you want flavored tea, add another teabag of your choice during the last three minutes of simmering. As with most marijuana products consumed orally, tea takes 45-60 minutes to come into full effect.
*Heat is necessary for decarboxylation! But you can cool it down like iced tea because once the THC has been released into the liquid it will not disappear.