German funeral-goers got more than they bargained for when they were accidentally served hash brownies on Tuesday, police say.
After a burial in Wiethagen, mourners went to a restaurant for coffee and cake, a typical custom following funerals in Germany.
Shortly after eating, 13 people complained of nausea and dizziness, and needed medical treatment.
According to concurrent reports from the Associated Press and Sky News, the marijuana mix-up happened after a restaurant employee responsible for preparing the post-funeral pastries passed the task on to her 18-year-old daughter. Baking at home, the daughter made one batch of traditional cakes, and another batch of hash cakes for a completely separate event. When it came time for her mother to take one set of cakes to work, let’s just say the wrong sheet pan was left in the freezer.
Police in the nearby city of Rostock say the employee’s daughter is under investigation.
The incident happened in August, but was not made public earlier out of respect for the mourners, according to the Associated Press.