Growing your own cannabis at home is one of the most rewarding activities you can do. It’s also more economical to grow your own weed, plus you have full control of all the aspects of growing.
But after harvesting, you find yourself with excess trim. Most times these end up in the garbage bin or compost – a big mistake! You can save the cannabis trim and make use of it because they’re still beneficial; trim contains valuable CBD and other cannabinoids that have many medicinal applications. Just don’t smoke the trim because it’ll result in harsh, painful smokes. Here are other ways you can benefit from trim after harvest:
Cannabutter is an essential ingredient for many edible recipes. From dressings to baked goods, even bulletproof coffee, it’s always handy to have some cannabutter at home. And if you enjoy the experience that edibles has to offer, you’re in luck because cannabutter makes excellent use of trim.
Here’s a link for a cannabutter recipe; just swap the bud for trim and decarboxylate it as you would normally with flower.
Make Cooking Oil
Just like cannabutter, cooking oil is a key ingredient in many edibles. Trim can be used in exchange of flowers to make cannabis coconut oil or olive oil, which you can then use to cook and bake edibles.
Make Cannabis Tea
Trimmings can be used to make cannabis tea to give you the medicinal benefits of CBD and other cannabinoids. It won’t get you high, but you’ll still enjoy the therapeutic benefits of the plant when you consume it as a tea. On the other hand, if you want to get high from tea, there’s also the option of decarboxylating it first.
Click here for a cannabis tea recipe.
Making your own hash at home is a great way to use up your trim. The process of making hash separates the trichomes from the trim to create a strong concentrate, if you have a lot of excess trim. The process to make your own hash is pretty simple:
- Cannabis trimmings
- Credit card
- Baking paper
- Place one sheet of baking paper on top of your kitchen table or any other clean, dry surface. The baking sheet should be a little larger than the silkscreen.
- Place the silkscreen on top of the baking paper. Put the cannabis trimmings on the silkscreen, and use your hands to break up any big pieces.
- Use your hands to spread the trimmings around the silkscreen to separate the trichomes from plant material. You’ll soon see some kief forming on the baking paper underneath the silkscreen.
- Continue moving the trimmings on the screen until the kief makes up around 10-20% of the trimmings that you’ve used. If you used 100g of trimming, you should have around 10g of kief.
- Once the trimmings have been sifted, collect the kief and press it. A credit card is a simple tool that’s effective in creating a pile on the sheet of baking paper, then press it together to create a thin hash block.
Cannabis milk or cream can be used in many different drinks, even milkshakes and dessert! Here’s a recipe for making cannabis milk with trim:
- 100ml of milk or cream
- 100g of trim
- Heat the milk or cream in a sauce pot; avoid letting it boil.
- Add the trim and leaves, stir.
- Let the mixture simmer for 30 minutes, gently stir occasionally.
- Put the milk on a strainer to let it cool.
There you have it! Next time, don’t toss out your trim and make one of these recipes instead. What’s your favorite way of using up trim?
- Check out certified organic CBD products or feminized cannabis seeds. We are offering a wide range of feminized Sativa, Indica and Autoflowering seeds.