Cannabis E-Liquid and vaporizers have not become super famous over the last couple of years for no reason. Vaporizing is a discrete and arguably the healthiest way for you to use weed.
Cannabis e-liquid is, effectively, the liquid that goes into a vaporizer which then blesses your lunges with potent smoke. Cannabis e-liquid is a very high potency form of marijuana, and making it at home can be a very economical way of smoking your stash.
It isn´t awfully hard to make your own vaporizer liquid, and it certainly does not break the bank. So this is the ultimate guide on how to create your own homemade high potency cannabis e-liquid.
Because this method involves heating alcohol, make sure that you follow the guide properly and keep your workspace well ventilated. I am not responsible for any mishaps that may arise from following this guide, so please use caution and proceed with care!
Do NOT skip the decarboxylation step, and enjoy your home made vape smoke!
What you´re going to need?
Before you get started on making your cannabis e-liquid, make sure you have all of the following things:
- Propylene Glycol – you can buy this from Amazon or ebay and it costs about $7
- The recommended dosage of cannabis is 6 grams, but you can use more or less depending on how strong you would like it to be. Make sure you´re using good quality cannabis!
- High proof grain alcohol. Do not use rubbing alcohol for this! You are looking for alcohols such as Everclear and Alcool.
- 2 mason jars
- Some 5ml dropper bottles
- Cheese cloth (for filtration)
- A baking tray and aluminum foil
- A cookpot and an oven
How to make cannabis e-liquid
The first step is decarboxylation. Don´t skip this step! It´s really important. The chemical process which takes place when marijuana is combusted (such as smoking it) doesn´t occur in vaporization because temperatures don´t necessarily get hot enough. So this step is important to make sure the THC is activated!
- Finely chop your buds. The finer they are the better! Then put aluminum foil on a baking tray, spread your buds out and put them in the oven. At 220-225 F, leave the buds in there for about 15 minutes. They will be dry and probably a little bit brown.
- Put your decarboxylated buds into one of the mason jars. Start filling the mason jar with Everclear alcohol (or whichever high proof grain alcohol you have chosen) until the buds are just covered in the jar.
- Put about 3.5 inches of water in a pot, and put the mason jar in it. Turn on a vent if your stove has one, and maybe open a window. In this step you are trying to evaporate some of the alcohol in the jar. Continually stir the cannabis during the process. Allow the alcohol to evaporate until the buds are still submerged, but less so than before. The mixture in the jar will get darker and darker as you continue to do this as the THC gets absorbed in the remaining alcohol. The more buds you use, the darker it will get.
- Once you feel you have evaporated enough (without doing it too much), add a little more Everclear to the mason jar, returning it to its original position. A little higher is okay too.
- It is time to filter your product. Cover the second mason jar with the cheesecloth and begin pouring your mixture into the second mason jar, allowing the cheese cloth to catch the buds. Squeeze as much liquid out of your buds as possible. With the mixture that is left in the mason jar, repeat step 3. This time, you want to evaporate the liquid until there is only 5 ml left in the mason jar. You can use the dropper to measure out how much is left in there.
- Then add 20 ml of propylene glycol. This makes about 25 ml of liquid out of the 6 grams of cannabis that was recommended. Other people also use food grade vegetable glycerin instead of propylene glycol. Feel free to experiment with dosages!
There is always the option of filtering out more alcohol once you have added the propylene glycol, but it isn´t completely necessary. THC is also soluble in alcohol, so there is also always the option of leaving your buds in the mason jar for a few days the first time you submerge them in alcohol.
These are the steps you follow when creating your own THC E-Juice. Naturally, when you vape, the vapour will have the distant smell of cannabis. However, it will not be as concentrated as is the case when you smoke a joint.
Take extreme care!!!
Please take extreme care when you do this, as heating up alcohol can be dangerous! So this isn´t really recommended unless you have had a little bit of experience extracting alcohol in mixtures! Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your homemade e-liquid!
[Updated, originally published 14.3. 2017]
- If you aren’t sure where to purchase quality seeds with great genetics, check out our reputable seed bank.