There’s a lot of different ways to make a nice cup of weed tea depending on the bud you have and the effects you want. Cannabis tea is a traditional medicinal drink which has been used for thousands of years. It is prepared and used in a number of different ways, depending on which effects are desired. Ancient cultures like India and China have time-honored, spiritual relationships with both tea and cannabis. It’s no surprise, then, that they combined the two. In ancient India, weed tea, known as bhang, was made from powdered cannabis flowers and leaves. The cannabis was added to milk, ghee butter, and spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves, along with a bit of sugar or honey.
Bhang was first used around 1000 B.C. and, to this day, it’s the official drink of the Holi Festival of Colors each spring. Bhang is described as providing relief for anxiety, fever, dysentery, sunstroke, phlegm, digestion issues, and low appetite. Indian sadhus still use bhang while meditating and practicing yoga in pursuit of transcendence. Many Rastafarians and other Jamaicans drink weed tea too. Their marijuana tea is commonly made from young plants that aren’t fully mature. The weed tea is only minimally psychoactive. Rural working class mothers in Jamaica give their children weed tea to help keep them healthy.
How to Make Weed Tea With Stems
Cannabis stems contain beneficial cannabinoids. Though it’s not well known, there are trichomes on stems (the smaller the stem, the more trichomes). These trichomes contain the cannabinoids, including THC, along with healthful terpenes and flavonoids. Cannabis stem tea is a bit milder and less potent than weed tea made from flowers and leaves. That makes it more suitable for persons who are sensitive to THC. It also makes it an eminently practical way to use stems you might otherwise discard. Here’s how to make marijuana tea with stems.
- 1/4 cup of cannabis stems (just add more stems and/or weed to increase potency)
- 1 cup of Half and Half
- 3 cups of water
- Tea that will taste good with dairy (loose leaf chai is one flavor that works well)
- Raw sugar
- First, use a coffee grinder to grind the stems. This will increase the surface area of the stems, therefore allowing more THC to be extracted.Then, in a medium-sized pot, add the Half and Half and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. THC is only soluble in lipids (fat/oil) so don’t use water.
- Next, add ground stems to the pot and boil for approximately 5-7 minutes. Stir often and watch closely!
- After that, using a fine reusable coffee or tea filter, strain the mixture into a cup. You may have to work the mixture in the filter for a while to get all the liquid through. There should be about 1/2 a cup of Half and Half now.
- Brew 3 cups of tea according to the directions, but double the amount of tea needed. This will help overpower the taste of the dairy since it doesn’t taste the greatest. Making 3 cups of tea instead of two ensures there won’t be too much dairy in each serving.
- Get your favorite large mug and pour half your tea into it. Add 1/4 cup (should be half of what you made) of your special Half and Half. It makes two mugs worth.
- Sweeten your weed tea with raw sugar as desired. Add a little honey to help cut the taste of the dairy even more.
- Enjoy your delicious concoction and its benefits!
How to Make Easy Weed Tea With Flowers
You can also brew cannabis tea using flowers. Please remember that marijuana tea made with flowers (buds) is going to be considerably more potent than weed stem tea. The reason for including the butter is to make the THC available to you; THC isn’t soluble in water alone.
- 1/2 gram cannabis flowers
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- Tea bag (any flavor)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- Sugar or honey (optional)
- Grind the cannabis flowers.
- Mix the ground buds with butter until completely coated.
- Empty the tea out of the bag, and replace it with the cannabis butter mixture. Use scissors to cut off the top of the bag, empty the tea, and spoon the ground marijuana into the bag. Fold the bag over several times to keep the cannabis from spilling. If you have a metal tea ball, you can use that instead. Or you can use a coffee filter; place the cannabis in the middle of the filter, then gather up the edges and tie them to create a little tea bag.
- Bring the water to a simmer on medium high heat. Don’t bring it to a full boil.
- Simmer the tea bag in the water for 20-30 minutes. Reduce heat if the water starts to boil. If the water gets low, add a little more so it doesn’t go dry. Add another tea bag of your choice, during the last three minutes of simmering if you want to mask the cannabis flavor.
- Remove from heat and take out the tea bag. The cannabis tea will be hot; let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in honey or sugar to taste. Enjoy your weed tea! (You may think half a gram isn’t a lot of weed, but in about an hour, you’ll probably change your mind.)
How to Make Easy Cannabutter Tea
Cannabutter tea is convenient because the butter in this weed tea recipe allows absorption of the THC. It’s psychoactive even without using milk or other additional fats.
1 tea bag (any flavor)
1 teaspoon of cannabutter
1 cup water
- Add 1 tsp. of cannabutter and a tea bag to the cup.
- Boil the water and pour it in
- Let the cannabutter fully dissolve
- Remove the tea bag, add milk (optional), and enjoy!
Tip: You can add mint or any other herbal tea flavors to enhance the taste.
How to Make Raw, Non-Psychoactive Cannabis Tea
Raw marijuana tea is easy to prepare. It’s also a good way to experience the benefits of non-psychoactive, non-activated raw THC (THC acid, or THCA). Raw THCA is more akin to a dietary supplement than a “drug.” It has a host of therapeutic benefits for both the healthy and the ailing.
- 1/2 gram cannabis stems, leaves, or buds
- 1 cup water
- Crush or grind half a gram of cannabis stems, leaves, or buds thoroughly.
- Spoon the ground cannabis into a metal tea ball, or pack it into a folded coffee filter.
- Place the tea ball or filter into a mug.
- Bring the water to a low boil; avoid a full boil to keep your cannabis from decarboxylating and being activated from THCA to THC.
- Pour the hot water into the mug with the cannabis. Steep for five minutes. You can adjust the steeping time for a weaker or stronger taste.
- Serve in the mug; avoid adding milk or cream to keep the tea non-psychoactive. Enjoy!