A group of New Mexico elementary school students got more than a sugar high after one fifth-grade student mistakenly shared a box of medical marijuana edibles at school. A 9-year-old girl came to school with what looked like typical gummy candies, but were actually edibles laced with THC, one of the psychoactive chemicals found in cannabis, according to Ebubekir Orsun, the principal at the Albuquerque School of Excellence. A fifth grader at the Albuquerque School of Excellence swiped the box of ‘Incredibles’ edibles from her grandfather and gave some out to friends during a morning break in the cafeteria. The girl soon began to feel the effects of the edibles, ‘sick’ and ‘dizzy,’ and went to the school nurse believing that she had gotten food poisoning by something from the cafeteria menu.
“The nurse asked her what else she had eaten and she said gummies,” said Albuquerque School of Excellence Dean Kristi Del Curto. “We asked to see the box, which had been tossed in the trash after it was empty… and as soon as we looked at it, we said, ‘Nope, that is not candy.’”
“She had this box, it had a label on it that said ‘Incredibles.’ We just thought it was ordinary gummies,” said one of the students who ate the edibles.
“She thought she was sharing candy, and if you saw the picture on the box, it did look like candy,” said Del Curto.
The school called paramedics, parents and APD as soon as they became aware of what happened. The dean said some of the kids became giggly, while others got sick.
The candies reportedly belonged to the student’s grandfather. Neither she, nor the other students who ate them, had lasting symptoms, though some of the students did get “giggly.
KOAT medical expert Dr. Barry Ramo said the gummies can be more potent than plain marijuana.
“It’s very important to keep these away from children. They taste good, they often look like candy and kids are really seduced by them,” he said.
A fifth-grader was suspended and her parents are now under investigation after she passed out gummy bears at her New Mexico elementary school, unaware the candy contained THC. The student was suspended because the school has a policy against students sharing food from home, because of possible allergic reaction.
Despite this being an oft-cited worst-case scenario, the kids of Albuquerque School of Excellence seem to be alright.
Some of the people rushing to emergency rooms thought the CBD vape they inhaled would …
Since so many states have legalized marijuana and more objective research has been made public …
With legalization set to debut early next year, some Canadian dispensary owners are already jumping …
Douglas County Sheriff’s Office announced a new test that can differentiate between hemp products and …