Cannabis, grows naturally on several different contents and countries – these indigenous strains are called landraces. These strains will only grow in certain climates. A strain is the term used to describe a naturally occuring or artificially bred combination of either of these two types ranging from a pure Sativa to a pure Indica with any ratio of both being referred to as a hybrid. Breeders began hybridizing cannabis for many reasons; climate tolerance, disease resistance, yield, potency, flavor, appearance, growth structure, and effect.
Weed is like wine – every strain has a history, and the funny names you hear in the movies actually mean something. You may have heard the terms indica and sativa used in conjunction with cannabis. These terms are used to describe the two major species of the cannabis plant that induce markedly different effects. Most people never have the chance to choose, they get the bud that they are sold and hope for the best. However, legalization has created the opportunity for customers to make informed decisions about the strain they consume. Choosing the right strain can make all the difference when trying to calm down, spur your appetite, fall asleep, or find creative inspiration.
Cannabis plants of the indica variety grow short and bushy. Their leaves are short, wide, and deeply serrated. Cannabis indica plants typically mature in 6 to 8 weeks. Commonly known as the ‘nighttime’ variety, the effect of cannabis indica is typically described as a body high. Indica strains have sedative properties and induce feelings of deep relaxation; making them a great natural sleep aid. ndica strains are ideal for chronic pain, muscle spasms, anxiety, nausea, appetite stimulation, and sleep deprivation. Individuals who suffer from diseases like multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, lupus, sleep apnea and insomnia tend to benefit from the effects of Cannabis Indica.Oh, and the munchies!
Cannabis plants of the sativa variety grow tall and lanky. Their leaves are long, narrow, and narrowly serrated. Cannabis sativa plants typically mature in 10 to 16 weeks. Commonly known as the ‘daytime’ smoke, the effect of cannabis sativa is often described as a cerebral high. Sativa strains induce feelings alertness, creativity, focus, and increased energy. Sativa are known to make you laugh uncontrollably or engage in in-depth conversations about the meaning of life. These strains typically cause you to analyze the human experience and think creatively, which makes Cannabis Sativa very popular among philosophers, artists and musicians. Cannabis sativa also aids in treating depression.
We must clarify that the above descriptions address the extremes, i.e. 100% indica and 100% sativa strains. The majority of cannabis strains available today are really hybrids that can lean heavily in one direction – either indica or sativa. Hybrids are popular as they maintain the most favorable aspects associated with each of the parents. Hybrids can be sativa or indica dominant – or right in the middle. We recommend consulting with your local bud tender or caregiver for strain specifics.
- Sativa-dominant Hybrids: Cerebral high with a relaxing body effect. Provides physical and mental relief.
- Even Hybrids (50/50): Ideal strains for people seeking a perfect balance of head and body.
- Indica-dominant Hybrids: These strains provide a full-body pain relief, with a relaxing head high. Recommended for nighttime use to go to sleep, or daytime relief from minor pain. These strains are perfect for patients who suffer from all types of autoimmune diseases as well as insomnia or depression.
So whether you are consuming cannabis for recreational or medical reasons, you will want to use the a strain that causes the desired effects. It is also worth noting that cannabis effects individuals slightly differently based on your weight, your consumption frequency, the source of the strain, and many other factors.
- If you need to be productive all day and seek some extra creativity, try a sativa strain
- If you’re looking to settle down and relax for the evening, grab yourself an indica strain
- If you want a great anytime smoke and a balanced high, try a hybrid strain
- If you seek therapeutic benefits without the high, try a high-cbd strain
- Subscribers who show their support with purchasing cannabis seeds or organic CBD products from our shop, help us keep doing this. Thank you for your support and for helping us improve!