Pinene (or α-pinene) is an aromatic compound commonly found in cannabis that smells a lot like – you guessed it – a forest of pine trees. But pinene brings a lot more to a strain’s experience than just flavor. Terpenes such as pinene are fragrant oils secreted in marijuana trichomes, and while they originally developed as an adaptive protection against predators, these compounds offer us humans a variety of benefits. And, fun fact: pinene can also be found in conifer trees, orange peels, turpentine, pine needles, rosemary, dill, basil, and parsley.
Pinene’s Effects and Benefits
Just as different cannabinoids have different effects, so do terpenes. These unique attributes contribute to the overall composition of a strain, adding a dimension to each one’s “personality.” Some of pinene’s known effects and benefits include:
- Bronchodilator (helps improve airflow to lungs)
- Helps counter short-term memory loss associated with THC
- Promotes alertness
You should note that these effects are modulated by other compounds. For example, strains containing high levels of the sedating terpene myrcene may not provide the alert effects mentioned above. It’s important to consider the entire chemical composition of a strain when looking for a specific effect.
High Pinene Cannabis Strains
The presence of pinene is highly dependent on a variety of environmental factors like grow medium, flowering time, and curing processes. These strains have the genetic potential to produce high levels of pinene, but the only way to know for sure is through lab-tested product.
- Jack Herer is one of the most prolific sources of pinene in the cannabis circuit.
- Dutch Treat – With an aroma that straddles the border between earthy pine and sweet candy
- Romulan – Its dominant pine flavor ushers in soothing relaxation
- Blue Dream is a hard-to-hate, easy-to-find hybrid that induces mellow euphoria with a gentle spark of creative energy.
- Island Sweet Skunk’s aroma is more likely to incite images of a tropical escape than forests of pine, but the high pinene content hiding under its sweet skunky bouquet will nevertheless carry you to place where energy meets focus.