Are you worried that your weed was laced? While most dispensary and coffee shop cannabis is free of weird additives, weed that is laced with cocaine, molly, amphetamines, or even laundry detergent does exist. While inhaling or ingesting laced weed is a serious problem and deserves close attention, just chilling out can make a big difference.
What is laced weed?
Laced weed is most commonly laced with coke, PCP, meth, and heroin. If weed is laced, it’s usually intended to be consumed by the person who did the lacing. When it’s laced with another drug it can smell like harsh chemicals and can have a burning sensation when you inhale. If you shake a bud, not many crystals should fall off, a little is alright as those are probably trichomes. Trichomes are brown to clear in color. If you see blue or white crystals, the weed is probably laced.
In order to figure out if you smoked laced weed, you need to know the symptoms that laced weed has. Generally speaking, people know when they’ve smoked suspect bud. If you’re just feeling anxious and hearing “noise,” there’s no saying that what you experienced wasn’t just some bad paranoia. Many pot smokers do occasionally hear things—and paranoia can be way worse than you’d imagine if you smoke the wrong strain. If you just feel crappy or otherwise loopy, you might not have to go to the doctor.
The signs of laced cannabis
Cocaine Laced Weed
Because of cocaine’s availability, coke laced weed is probably the most popular form of laced weed. Coke is the white powdered form of cocaine and is normally smoked, snorted, or ingested. The texture is close to powdered sugar. Cocaine smells like ether, gasoline, or the chemical that used to extract the freebase from the mash. This smell can sometimes even be mistaken as cannabis.
- Unable to fall asleep
- Increased energy
- Trouble concentrating
- Paranoia and compulsive behavior
Glass Laced Weed
Crushed glass can be added to weed to make it weigh more, make it look like there are more trichomes than there actually are. Glass laced weed may also be the result of an accident. A good way to test if your weed is laced with glass is to use a CD. Weed, on its own, will not scratch a CD easily. All you have to do is to gently rub a bud on a CD and if it gets scratched your weed is probably laced. Although, if your weed is dry it may still scratch CD.
Weed Laced With PCP
PCP or angel dust, can be found in the form of white powder or crystals, capsules, tablets, or liquid. Developed in the 1950s as an intravenous anesthetic, PCP was soon discontinued due to its side effects. PCP has a distinctive bitter chemical taste and can range in color from tan to brown.
In small amounts, weed laced with PCP can make you feel detached, distant, and estranged from your surroundings. Friends may notice you staring blankly and blinking often. Smoking PCP laced weed can also cause:
- Impaired coordination
- Numbness of the extremities
- Slurred speech
- Aggressive or violent behavior
- A sense of strength and invulnerability
Weed Laced With Acid / LSD
Smoking weed laced with LSD or acid in a pipe won’t cause you start hallucinating or result in any other effects. This is because it’s destroyed by the heat of the lighter. However, if you buy pre-rolled joints or blunts the tip may have LSD or acid on it and when you put it in your mouth it will be absorbed into your system.
- Impaired coordination
Weed Laced With Heroin
Unfortunately, weed laced with heroin isn’t as uncommon as the rest. Heroin can be a white/brown powder or a black sticky substance known as black tar heroin. It tastes bitter and smells vinegar or rubber.
- Surge of euphoria
- Constricted pupils
- Slowed Breathing
- Flush Skin
Weed Laced With Embalming Fluid / Formaldehyde
Embalming fluid contains formaldehyde which is known to cause cancer. Weed is laced with embalming fluid in order to make it seem stronger than it actually is and is very dangerous. By itself, formaldehyde is colorless and smells somewhat like pickles. Smoking weed laced with embalming fluid is similar to smoking PCP.
- Bad headaches
- Increased heart rate
- Chest pain
- Dry mouth and throat
- Severe paranoia
Laundry Detergent Laced Weed
A dealer may coat your buds in powdered laundry detergent in order to make it look like there’s a lot of crystals and to make it smell fresh. If you smoke weed laced with laundry detergent you’ll taste the chemicals in the soap along with the fragrance. Testing for laundry detergent is very easy. First, find a small watertight container and put some water in it along with some of the weed in question. Next, simply shake the container and look for suds of soap.
- Soar throat
- Trouble breathing
Here are some things to try when you’re reeling from a bad buzz from laced weed
First off, don’t panic. You need to try to maintain a level head while dealing with the high. Say that you’re alright, and that everything is going to be fine. Keep repeating it and try to clear your thoughts. Getting into a panic will cloud your judgement way worse than it already is. Get your mind off of the laced weed in your system.
Snuggle up in bed. Make yourself comfortable. You would be surprised at how much of an impact your environment can make when you’re smoking laced weed.
If you feel queasy, drink ginger ale or have hot tea. Using classic nausea reducing techniques can make a bad bud experience a lot easier. However, if you feel really sick to your stomach, it may be best to just puke it out.
Take a warm shower. Assuming that you are still mobile and capable of staying awake, a warm shower can actually help you calm down and ride things out.
Play relaxing music. More often than not, a little bit of mellow music can make a huge difference in how relaxed you feel.
What we’re saying is that having comforting things around you will help you figure out what to do if you smoked laced weed. After all, a relaxed mind is a more rational mind.
If you have a friend who knows what to do if you smoked laced weed, call them up and ask them to babysit you. Having a little company can really make a huge difference in how good you feel. A friend, even one who hasn’t really dabbled in pot smoking or drug use, can save your life. If you black out, have a seizure, or start going unresponsive, they can help make sure that you come out of your smoking experience alive.
Laced marijuana can be very, very dangerous. If you’re noticing that you’re experiencing any of the symptoms, you may need to go to the emergency room.
- Thoughts that are way off-kilter for you. Are you getting violent, nasty thoughts that really aren’t like the typical things you think? This may be a sign that you’re about to have a serious bout of drug psychosis—and yes, that might warrant a trip to the ER if you don’t believe you can control yourself.
- Full visual and auditory hallucinations. This could mean that you smoked PCP, or weed that was laced with DMT. If you do not have someone to babysit you, you may want to go to a doctor. (Actually, it’d probably be best to hit urgent care if this happens.)
- Vomiting uncontrollably. Regular cannabis reduces nausea most of the time. If you’re feeling queasy, it could just be that the weed disagreed with you. Even so, you might want to just let the puking happen. If you’re vomiting uncontrollably, let yourself puke, but get someone to drive you to the ER. They will know know what to do if you smoked laced weed of all sorts.
- A sudden, wild burst of energy. This often happens when you smoke meth, cocaine, or PCP-laced weed. If you find yourself unable to sit down, talking nonsense, or getting jittery to the point of debilitation, you may want to consider going to a doctor.
- Feeling drunk without having had any alcohol. This is a sign that you may have smoked GHB-laced marijuana. GHB, when inhaled, can cause you to slip into a coma and die. You need to get to an ER or to urgent care if you get this symptom.
- Difficulty staying conscious or memory blackouts. This is a more serious sign that you’re smoking laced weed. Normal marijuana will not make you blackout. If you notice this symptom, get to an emergency room. It could be GHB or PCP.
- Seizures. Emergency room! Now!
Rules To Prevent Purchasing Laced Weed
- Never buy weed already ground up
- Only buy from a reputable dealer
- When in doubt, throw it out
- Trust your instincts
It’s better to be safe than sorry.