Within the reputation for cannabis usage, nobody has ever endured a toxic overdose that resulted in death. Nonetheless, this will not imply that weed is benign either. Though it is impractical to fatally use weed, the over-consumption of cannabis can result in sickness that is severe negative effects.
The classic concept of overdosing is: “an excessive and dangerous dosage of a drug.”
Drugs used in medicine are given a toxicity score or what is also known as an LD-50. This means that 50% of test animals will die from a drug-induced overdose. Scientists have attempted to determine what marijuana’s LD-50 rating is in animals. So far at least, scientists have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to kill them.
The major reason you cannot fatally overdose on marijuana is that the THC along with other cannabinoids in cannabis are absorbed mainly through cannabinoid receptors in your body. These cannabinoid receptors are not found in the brainstem areas which are in control of functions like respiration. Therefore, deadly overdoses have become not likely. But, cannabinoid receptors are present into the remaining portion of the human anatomy and may cause adverse effects.
Apart from the failure of scientists to induce overdoses or determine a “toxicity” score for marijuana, there might also be another reason why the body responds to THC the way it does. In a 2014 study published in Science journal, French researchers found that rats exposed to THC showed a dramatic increase in a brain hormone called pregnenolone which seemed to prevent fatal levels of intoxication.
Pregnenolone is considered the inactive precursor of all steroid hormones. Its impact has been largely unstudied. However, the administration of THC increases synthesis of pregnenolone in the brain via the CB1 receptor, which then reduces several of the effects of THC.
A Temporary Overdose of Marijuana
As stated, you simply cannot fatally overdose on cannabis, but over usage may create a phenomenon called “greening out.” This might be a state where you temporarily experience the mental and physical ramifications of overdosing on cannabis.
The phenomenon, if caused by a relatively small amount of cannabis, will pass within a few hours if left unaddressed.
That said, it is also possible to bring yourself down from a high that feels uncomfortable. The first thing to do is hydrate – drink water or juice. Stay away from alcohol as it can increase the blood concentration of THC. You can also try chewing a few black peppercorns. Other tips for bringing yourself back to a more normal state include going for a walk, taking a bath or shower or eating something.
CBD or hemp oil is also known to counteract THC. Put a few drops under your tongue.